Let’s imagine that you planned well for your ISO 27001 implementation project. You have done your research and recognized the key role an ISO 27001 tool can have in dealing with the complexities of the upcoming implementation project. You have an action plan, you’ve carefully selected a team, and now you want to convince your boss that having an ISO 27001 online tool is a justifiable investment.
In this article, we offer some advice on how you can present the right benefits to your top management and get their approval for an ISO 27001 online tool investment.
Investing in the right ISO 27001 online tool
To effectively manage your ISO 27001 project, you need to select a tool that can address all the ISO 27001 project management challenges. So, before you move forward with seeking top management support, you should confirm that your top choice has everything needed to properly support your ISO 27001 project implementation. This tool should have the following characteristics:
- Accessible to all project members, anytime, anyplace
- Specialized for ISO 27001 project management
- Project, task, document, and communication management modules
- Risk, incident, and internal audit management modules
- Strong knowledge support and software support
- Smart notification system
If the online ISO 27001 tool you choose has all of these, then you are ready to start building the case for top management.
Prepare your bosses for an ISO 27001 online tool investment
Top management love data and facts, so be concise and to the point. To build a good case, here are a few pointers:
- Demonstrate the issues an online ISO 27001 tool addresses. What issues does the tool help to resolve? With the implementation of a project comes an entire range of issues a good tool can help to resolve:
- Handling a mountain of documents, policies, and procedures
- Tracking hundreds of activities across different departments
- Dispersed communication over email, face-to-face meetings, and tools
- Understanding the ISO 27001 implementation steps
- Dispersed data across many various locations
For more details, check out this article: Top 5 ISO implementation issues you can solve with online tools.
- Demonstrate the increase in efficiency and productivity. The insight from the organizations using an online ISO 27001 tool to manage their implementation projects shows an operational excellence in three aspects:
- Co-developing a massive number of documents. An ISO 27001 online tool with a strong DMS system effectively increases the speed and development of ISO-related documentation.
- Keeping people in the loop. ISO 27001 online tools are accessible anytime, anywhere, and provide a quick turnaround for smoother execution and fewer delays.
- Tracking and managing a lot of tasks. Tracking tasks in multiple parallel projects with clear accountability, progress status, relevant discussions, and documentation reduces repetitive actions and missed steps.
- Present the total costs of ownership and ROI of the ISO 27001 online tool. The top management spend time quantifying investment returns for any project — especially software. On average, an ISO 27001 implementation project can last between 6 and 12 months, depending on the company size and other factors. During that time, 200 hours will be spent per team member, and up to US$ 20,000 will be spent for consulting fees and interventions. So, introducing an online ISO 27001 tool with DIY documentation and expert support is a welcome and cost-efficient alternative, as the associated average costs are well below US$ 5,000.
You can learn more on this topic here: How to save money using online ISO management tools.
- Present the working proof-of-concept. If you come to the table bringing the proof-of-concept before asking for any big investments, your boss will respect that. So, if your software provider offers a free trial, you can use it to enlist your team and test it – before you make a final decision and go forward to the top management.
Have you tried Conformio yet?
Conformio is an ISO 27001 online tool created by the experts at Advisera Expert Solutions Ltd for everyone who needs a supporting tool to successfully implement ISO 27001 projects.
Many companies have found the use of Conformio helpful in managing their ISO 27001 implementations, by leveraging the following features:
- Constant accessibility, anytime, anyplace. As an online tool, Conformio provides easy access to the project information for all relevant stakeholders.
- Strong focus on ISO 27001 management. Conformio is an ISO 27001 management tool, so it is designed to support ISO 27001 project management and it has modules for managing security incidents, risk assessment and risk treatment, internal audits, non-conformities, and corrective actions.
- Intuitive project approach, with task, document, and communication management modules. These features will support all aspects of the complex ISO 27001 project, to enable you to steer it to a successful implementation.
- Easy-to-use risk, incident, audit, and nonconformity management modules. These features will support all aspects of operation and maintenance of your ISO 27001 ISMS, to enable you to keep and improve information security over time.
- Strong expert and software support. Conformio has a step-by-step compliance procedure wizard for the ISO 27001 documents and core processes, which will help you learn, with examples, how to fill in the specifics of your company to be compliant with the standard, plus excellent consulting and software support, either by e-mail or online meetings.
- Smart notification system. Conformio has a built-in responsibility matrix, based on the roles defined in the ISMS implementation and operation, which helps build a robust notification system, making sure everyone involved is well informed regarding what happens in the project and when they should react.
By selecting the right tool and testing it, you have half of the work already done. Top management can recognize a good opportunity and justify the costs of an ISO 27001 online tool investment, if the ROI at the end is a successful ISO 27001 project implementation with minimum investments, with the possibility to use the tool for ongoing operation – something you can surely deliver with the help of the right tool.
Technology gives us a much-needed edge to do more, faster and better. So, why not try it?